Professional Development Program
Learn from expert academic, industry, and career consultants.
AINSE is pleased to announce the third round of our Professional Development Program, open to all AINSE postgraduate scholars who commenced their PGRA or RSS in 2022.
All elements of the program will be conducted via Zoom and are free to access for eligible AINSE postgraduate students. Registration is essential.
The second round of the program commenced during our Postgraduate Orientation Week by Hugh Kearns (ThinkWell), and features ongoing sessions from academic and industry experts throughout 2023 to assist with academic writing, job search and career readiness.
One-on-one coaching sessions:
February-October 2023, various times. Please note that all registration times are in Australian Eastern Time (Sydney time) by default:
“General Career Coaching and Academic CV Feedback” Individual sessions with executive coaches Julie Ferris and Elizabeth Fish.
You are able to book an individual coaching session with Elizabeth or Julie to discuss your career planning and receive feedback on your Academic CV. A maximum of three coaching sessions per student are available. Please visit either of the links to check availability.
Calendar of Events:
- February-October 2023: Individual coaching and resume review sessions. Register now (calendar A, calendar B – external links)
All events, dates and times are subject to change. Please review this page frequently for updates.
2022 Program Events:
- October 20, 2021: Workshop: “The PhD Experience” featuring Hugh Kearns.
- March 10, March 31: Webinar: “Compelling Academic Resumes” featuring Julie Ferris and Elizabeth Fish.
- April 26, April 28: Webinar: “Building Your Network to Identify Opportunities in Academia and Research” featuring Julie Ferris and Elizabeth Fish.
- May 11, May 17: Webinar: “Developing Confidence and Skills for Interviews” featuring Julie Ferris and Elizabeth Fish.
- June 20, June 28: Webinar: “LinkedIn and Non-Academic Resumes” featuring Julie Ferris and Elizabeth Fish.
- July 5, July 14, July 19: Catch-up webinars with Julie Ferris and Elizabeth Fish.
- August 17, August 23: Webinar: “Strategic Job Search” featuring Julie Ferris and Elizabeth Fish.
2021 Program Events:
- June 15: Launch Event: “The PhD Experience” featuring Hugh Kearns.
- June 17-30: “Career Planning – What are your options and timeframes?” Individual sessions with executive coaches Julie Ferris and Elizabeth Fish.
- June 30, July 2, July 6: Webinar: “Academic Resume Essentials” featuring Julie Ferris and Elizabeth Fish.
- July 15, 21, 26: Webinar: “Networking/Communicating in a Research Environment” featuring Julie Ferris and Elizabeth Fish.
- August 13, 18, 23: Webinar: “Developing Confidence and Skills for Interviews” featuring Julie Ferris and Elizabeth Fish.
- September 2: Workshop: “Intro to Design Thinking, Part 1 (Mindset)” featuring Carol Azzam Mackay.
- September 9: Workshop: “Intro to Design Thinking, Part 2 (Methodology)” featuring Carol Azzam Mackay.
- September 13, 21, 29: Webinar: “Maximising LinkedIn and Effective Industry Based Resumes” featuring Julie Ferris and Elizabeth Fish.
- September 15: “Turbocharge your Writing” featuring Hugh Kearns.
- October 21, 26, November 4: Webinar: “Strategic Job Search?” featuring Julie Ferris and Elizabeth Fish.
- December 10: “Defeating Self-Sabotage” featuring Hugh Kearns.
Student Testimonial (2021 program):
“The AINSE professional development program was incredibly worthwhile and I gained a broad range of skills and confidence from engaging with the program throughout the year. The online seminars imparted guidance on how to effectively use tools such as Linkedin, how to overcome imposter syndrome, tips on working more productively and writing more efficiently, and confidently tackling the dreaded task of professional networking.
The one-on-one coaching sessions via zoom with Julie and Elizabeth were of particular value as they provided personal advice and answered questions specific to my situation. These sessions guided me to determine my value proposition for future employers, provided a fresh perspective and advice on my career options post-PhD and personally worked with me to tailor my resume, ensuring it is ready to go for both academic and industry jobs.
I highly recommend all students who have access to the program take up the opportunity with open arms – it was genuinely very useful and taught transferrable skills, in an easy and digestible way, that will be valuable for all future career paths.”
The Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering (AINSE Ltd.) is an integral organisation for enhancing Australia’s and New Zealand’s capabilities in nuclear science, engineering, and related research fields by facilitating world-class research and education.
AINSE offers a range of programs and services to its members, including generous domestic and international conference support, scholarships for honours & postgraduate students and Early Career Researchers, and intensive undergraduate education schools. These benefits aim to foster scientific advancement and promote an effective collaboration between AINSE members and ANSTO.
We respectfully acknowledge the Dharawal nation as the traditional custodians of the land on which AINSE is located.
Copyright © 2019 AINSE | Powered by Astra