The Vital Link
AINSE was originally established as the Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering Inc. in 1958 to provide a mechanism for access to the special facilities at Lucas Heights by universities and other tertiary institutions and to provide a focus for cooperation in the nuclear scientific and engineering fields. It has a specific mandate to arrange for the training of scientific researchers and the award of scientific research studentships in matters associated with nuclear science and engineering.
Many of the techniques and much of the expertise at Lucas Heights cannot be found elsewhere in Australia. AINSE plays an indispensable role in providing universities with access to major scientific facilities and encouraging a national cooperative research effort. It is a role that is efficient and cost effective. Universities are saved from duplicating expensive items of equipment and Commonwealth funding can be directed at one national facility instead of several with sub-critical funding.
AINSE Inc. developed into a new company, AINSE Ltd, which commenced trading on 1 January 2009. All AINSE programs were transferred from the Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering Inc. into AINSE Ltd.
AINSE will be a leading authority and resource in addressing Australia’s societal challenges through nuclear science and engineering.
AINSE will reach its vision through
1. Effectively communicate AINSE’s purpose to a wide range of different stakeholders
Strategic Directions 2014-2018